SNACKEX is organised by the European Snacks Association asbl (ESA), an international association registered under Belgian law. Its mission is to advance the savoury snacks industry on behalf of member snack manufacturers and suppliers, as well as national trade organisations, and to represent their interests at European and international level.
Scope of this policy
ESA collects and processes certain information about individuals. These individuals, also known as ‘data subjects’ can include members, suppliers, business contacts, participants to events and other people the association has a relationship with or may need to contact.
ESA is committed to handle personal data in compliance with applicable data protection laws, including as of 25 May 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). In particular, ESA commits to only collect and process personal data that is: processed fairly, in a transparent way and based on valid legal grounds; obtained for specific lawful purposes; adequate, relevant and not excessive; accurate and kept up to date; not held for longer than necessary; protected in appropriate ways and not transferred outside of the European Economic Area, unless adequate protective measures are in place.
What personal data do we collect?
Personal data means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person; an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name or location data.
ESA may collect the following categories of personal data to the extent necessary to achieve the purposes outlined in this policy:
- Identification data such as first name, last name, employer’s company name, job title, ID / passport information, date of birth, images, cookies, photographs, videos;
- Contact data such as email address, telephone number, postal address;
- Financial data such as credit card and bank account details
In most instances, we collect personal data directly from the data subjects, but we may sometimes obtain personal data from third parties.
IMPORTANT - Badge scanning at SNACKEX
If you allow your badge to be scanned by exhibitors in the SNACKEX show halls you are providing those exhibitors with the contact information you submitted when registering for the event. IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS INFORMATION TO BE SHARED, DO NOT ALLOW EXHIBITORS TO SCAN YOUR BADGE. ESA will not share your registration information with exhibitors (other than where your badge has been scanned) unless consent has been obtained.
Why we process personal data and on what basis
As part of its general mission, ESA processes personal data for the following purposes:
- For general membership administration: ESA has legitimate interests in the processing of personal data of the contact persons at ESA’s members for the purpose of administering the membership and collecting membership fees. ESA is also bound by Belgian company law obligations with respect to the organisation of general assemblies and board of directors meetings.
- For contract management purposes: ESA has legitimate interests in the processing of personal data of representatives and contact persons of entities and associations with which ESA contracts (e.g. with respect to services agreements, consultancy agreements, research agreements, procurement agreements).
For organising events such as fairs, conferences, workshops, training courses: ESA processes identification, credit card and dietary details of individuals who register online or onsite in person to participate at events (including SNACKEX) organised by ESA for the purpose of managing the registration and participation to such events based on the necessity for ESA to meet its obligations as organiser of the events under the general terms and conditions that are expressly accepted by the individuals and/or based on consent for certain personal data.
When you provide your identification information online as an exhibitor, conference delegate or trade fair visitor at SNACKEX, you consent to have this information (not contact information) shared publicly through its publication in the event attendee registration book. If companies exhibiting at SNACKEX provide requested identification and contact information, you consent to have this information shared publicly through its publication in the event show guide.
ESA (or its designated representatives) may take photographs or video recordings during events for the purposes of using the images and/or videos on the ESA / SNACKEX website(s) and in social or other media in connection with the event and/or ESA’s general activities.
We will retain your personal data for the duration of the event and for a period of time thereafter to the extent necessary to provide information about the event and other future events organised by ESA.
- For public relations purposes: ESA processes contact details of members and employees of the European Parliament, officials from the European Commission and from EU member states, members and employees of national and regional parliaments in the European Union, officials from national public bodies in the European Union and beyond, representatives of NGOs and of international organisations like the WHO, OECD, etc., lawyers, academics, and lobbyists in European affairs for the purposes of carrying out its advocacy activities.
- For website administration purposes: ESA processes identification data from individuals who register themselves on the ESA website and give their express consent to receive newsletters or information from ESA.
How long do we keep personal data?
ESA will keep personal data for the time that is necessary to achieve the purpose(s) for which they were collected, e.g. for the duration of a contractual relationship or of a project, and for a period of time thereafter if so required by applicable law or if in the primary interests of the data subjects.
Do we transfer personal data?
ESA does not transfer personal data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), unless adequate protective measures are in place.
What are your rights as data subjects and how to exercise them?
As data subject, you have the following rights with respect to personal data we hold about you, subject to applicable legal restrictions:
- Right of access to your personal data;
- Right to rectification of incorrect or incomplete personal data;
- Right to erasure of your personal data;
- Right to restriction of processing of your personal data;
- Right to data portability, i.e., the right to receive the personal data concerning you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to transmit those data to another controller;
- Right to object to all or part of the processing, when legally allowed;
- Right not to be subject to automated individual decision-making, including profiling within the limits set out by the law;
- Right to withdraw consent at any time when we process your personal data based on your consent;
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority in the EU.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights or if you are not satisfied about how we protect your privacy, you should address your request by email together with a copy of your ID / passport main page (which we will only use to verify your identity), to ESA, as data controller at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Individuals will not be charged for subject access requests, except if the requests are manifestly unfounded or excessive (e.g. repetitive). In such case, ESA may charge a reasonable fee or refuse to act on the request.
ESA will aim at responding to data subject requests without undue delay and in any event within 1 month of receipt of the request.
 Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC.